Local Assistance and Resource List
Caroline Department of Social Services – 804-633-5071
Caroline Community Center
- Offers a variety of programs for assistance in the areas of food, medical needs, utilities, and other areas.
- Handles reports of child abuse and domestic violence.
Caroline Family Practice - 804-632-1030 - A community health center operated by the Central Virginia Health Services, Inc., a nonprofit organization based in New Canton, VA. The center is located at
· Open to all adults and children, insured and uninsured.
· Accepts the major government health plans, such as Medicaid, Medicare, and FAMIS.
· Uses a sliding scale for fees which is adjusted for income and family size. ALL patients will pay some amount for care.
· Minimum payment is $10 for an office visit.
CERVE (Caroline Emergency Relief Effort) - During business hours call Social Services 804-633-5071 and ask for Martha Lane; After business hours contact Brian Finucane at 804-448-3754 (Home) or 804-833-5435 (Cell).
- Offers assistance to transient people using a contract with Days Inn (Carmel Church) for one night's lodging, which includes a breakfast meal.
- Offers monetary assistance with utility bills under emergency situations, but utilizes other social service programs first.
- A Food/Clothing Ministry of Salem Baptist Church.
- Approved Federal Food Distribution Point
- Mission Statement: To be the hands and feet of Christ by providing food and clothing to those in need.
- Located on East Broaddus Avenue next to the Shell Gas Station in Bowling Green.
- Hours of Operation: Tuesday Nights, 6-8 p.m.
- Donations encouraged and accepted during Hours of Operation.
- Free Food and Clothing in Limited Quantities.
RACSB (Rappahannock Area Community Service Board) – 804-633-9997
19254 Roger Clark Blvd.
Ruther Glen, VA 22546
- Assists with mental health issues and drug & alcohol related problems for individuals and families.
- Client must be a resident of Caroline County.
- Uses a sliding scale for fees.
Rappahannock Area Agency on Aging - 540-371-3375
- Offers transportation once-a-month on a set date for a Doctor's appointment, buy groceries at the grocery store, pick up a prescription, etc.; cost is $3.00.
- Offers a bi-weekly "homemaker’s service" to do shopping or light housework; requires a donation of any amount.
- Offers emergency assistance for seniors (once per year per client) for prescriptions and utilities.
- Offers "meal centers" in Caroline, King George, Stafford, and Spotsylvania Counties, and in Fredericksburg; sites are open 2-3 times per week and offer meals, games, and trips to the movies or library, etc.; some participants pay their own way while others make a donation; Caroline County sites and hours are: Bowling Green Area, Community Center, M/W/F approx. 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.; Ladysmith Area, Madison Ruritan Building, Thursdays approx. 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.; must call in advance to sign up.
471 Central Road
Fredericksburg, VA 22402
- Does not allow single overnight stays.
- Does not serve transient people.
- Offers a 30 day program (extensions can be granted for up to 60 or 90 days).
- Client must be homeless, but was a recent resident in Planning District 16 (Caroline, King George, Spotsylvania, and Stafford Counties, or Fredericksburg) for at least 30 days.
- Client is required to find a job and agrees that 75% of their income is placed in an escrow account, which is used to help them established a more permanent situation when they leave the program.
- The facility offers housing; a limited number of "Family Rooms" are available.
VIP Care (Virginia Institute of Pastoral Care) - 804-282-8332
2000 Bremo Road
Richmond, VA 23226
- Offers Christian counseling services for individuals & families.
- Participates with most major insurance companies and uses a sliding scale for out-of-pocket payment.